Sunday, February 19, 2012

High Country Canadian Draft

Bottling Day! No real news to report. I washed 8 one litre bottles with all natural dish soap, which is free of chemicals like scents etc. I then sanitized the same bottles with the sanitizing solution provided by Mr Beer. The only hiccup I encountered was that I forgot to sanitize the funnel and measuring spoons that I need for adding the sugar I have to put in the bottles, to resolve this problem I simply boiled water in the kettle and poured it over the forgotten utensils.

I measured 2 and a half teaspoons of sugar to each bottle and then filled each bottle from the fermenter. After capping the PET bottles I inverted them 8 times each to make sure all the sugar made it into the liquid.

Only news I can really report is the Final Gravity..... My OG was 1.038 and my FG was 1.014 which gives me an abv of 3.144% which is disappointing. I may have to start using the 'booster' Mr Beer provides or even adding some grains to get the abv up. I know home brewing is more about the taste but I also like at least 4.8% alcohol

Until next time... Relax, Don't worry, Have a Home Brew


Update.... Well, I drank it. With the help of a friend. The taste? DAMN FINE! This is probably the best tasting beer I have made yet. And after much consideration, I got over the low abv. Why? The Taste! I'm really impressed with the taste of this one and I may have to make it again soon... I may go with the Safale US-05 yeast next time to help with the abv, and hope it doesn't mess with the taste.

Final judgement..... I think I've found my new favourite homebrew that will become a staple in my fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment